Modified Bitumen Torch-Down Roofing
Modified Bitumen Torch Down Roofing is the roofing system of choice for many commercial and industrial buildings today. If you are not familiar with this type of roofing, here is a brief explanation. Modified bitumen, or “torch-down” is a flat or low-slope roofing system suited for applications which demand a physically tougher surface. It is often installed in multiple layers or “plies” as necessary to achieve the necessary thickness a given situation may require.
Modified Bitumen comes in two primary varieties: SBS and APP
- SBS is applied by embedding the modified membrane in mopped-on hot asphalt.
- APP or “Torch Down” is applied by welding the modified membrane together using roofing torches.
If you are already familiar with flat roofs, then you probably already know that modified bitumen torch-down roofing can be rather expensive compared to other roofing systems. It is understandable if you want to back away from spending more. However, the following benefits this roofing system offers will probably convince you that it is worth the investment:
- Durability- one thing to consider when it comes to choosing your roofing system is how durable or long-lasting a system is. This is especially important if you are planning to use the roof for certain purposes. For example, if the roof will be put under high traffic, then it is very important that it is tough. Only modified bitumen torch-down roofing can resist high traffic and a combination of mold, weather, and fire. Since this type of roofing is applied in several layers, there are less risks of error. One great thing about it is that it is proven to last 25-30 years on average.
- Cost-effectiveness- modified bitumen torch-down roofing lasts for several decades, helping you save dollars in the process. With the right coatings, its life can further be extended. Even better, it can support a good amount of weight, allowing you to perform certain activities on it.
- Nature Friendliness- new developments in flat roofing systems have given way to “green roofs.” Green roofs are basically flat roofs (including modified bitumen torch-down systems) which are topped with a garden of some sort and then decorated with cobblestones, sand, and tiles.
Modified Bitumen flat roofing provides a versatile option for commercial and industrial buildings today. If you want to have a sturdy roof that will last as long as possible while giving you more space to work on or live in, then modified bitumen torch-down roofing is an excellent option we proudly offer you.